Monday, December 27, 2010

Code

One of the biggest challenges I face as an architect is to explain or educate the client on the building code effect and how it determines what we can, cannot, or must do within our design to meet it.

A lot of times clients will ask me specific code questions. Some things are that objectively written in any code, and can be answered on the spot. However, some things are a factor of the size, use, and materials of the building and thus a little bit more time and effort must be given to actual code research to arrive at a solution. It is difficult to not only get the client to understand this process, but also to be allowed to begin it while collecting compensation for doing it. I actually refuse to memorize any of these tabulated, calculated portions of the code, because it is not worth getting it wrong on the spot without having it in front of you to confirm the requirement. The consequences of an error where I tell someone something from the code that turns out to be inaccurate could be catastrophic to the project goals and could also create a "deal breaker" situation if their objectives are not met, rendering every party's time and money wasted.

One of the worst case scenarios is when a requirement is given to a client and there is some disbelief in said requirement. Or, even worse, when after the requirement is told to a client and it eliminates a desire of theirs within the design, their response is that they heard from someone else that they CAN do what they wanted. This is quite frustrating. There are a lot of hacks out there, but I am certainly not one of them. I do my best to make sure my code research is at the forefront of my design effort and that it's accuracy is upheld to the best of my ability. Some people may say a lot of things just to coerce people along, but I believe in being honest and direct. Also, the codes change quite often and if someone is reciting something from memory that they should be checking for updates in a more recent version in a code, then they could possibly be at risk of giving errant or insufficient information, which is a disservice to the client and the project.

So please, clients and potential clients, I implore you... trust me, your Architect. I care most about life safety and environmental barriers and I have a professional license to protect, so I will play it straight in every aspect of the code enforcement to which I am expected to convey.

No comments:

Post a Comment